Thursday, July 16, 2009

Intro

Hello!

I'm starting this blog as a personal sounding board for my thoughts/ feelings and generally my obsessive love of Belly Dancing.

I have been studying Belly Dance for three years now, and just recently moved up to the San Francisco Bay Area so that I might intensify my training.
I have a stylistically mixed background, my first teacher was a Turkish style dancer who was Suhaila Salimpour influenced. She is fantastic, she taught me all of the basics and broke the moves down into correct muscle groups, and pretty much gave me a kickass foundation. After I progressed too far for her beginning classes, I moved to taking Tribal Fusion classes with a couple of Teachers. Now I am studying primarily with a Tribal Fusion teacher, and an American Caberet with slight Tribal influence teacher. I'm delving more into the traditional background of the dance and loving every minute of it.

I am currently in college finally finishing my BA, and am majoring in Women's Studies. My focus is the Ethnology of Belly Dance and the social application of it; namely how to use Belly Dance as a tool to build community and improve the self esteem of women and girls. My goal is to get a PhD in Gender/Women's Studies.

I'll be blabbing a lot in this blog about music, classes, videos and more things related to my passion.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment