Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Dance is where the heart is

It felt soooo good to go to dance class tonight! The moment I entered the room I felt the wonderful warmth of the room and the women in it. It really is true that because ATS is group oriented, that the class participants bond and interact more than any solo-oriented dance I've ever studied. It is so beautiful and exhilarating to expiernce the bond and the "mind meld" moments we have while dancing.

One of the reasons I was so enamored with ATS right off the bat was that it reminded me of something I saw while in trance many years ago. When I was a teenager I bought a book on past life recall, and during one attempt I had a vivid memory of dancing with other women. It looked to be somewhere in Western Europe around the middle ages. Myself and the other women were dressed in plain, country style dresses, with little flowers woven in our long hair. We were dancing in a circle in the grass, and I remember I was filled with immense joy.

Fast forward to a few years ago. I was taking Sabrina's Tribal fusion class, and she had us do a little ATS style work one evening. When the whole class shifted out of the horseshoe shape and started circling the room doing the Ghawazee shimmy, I had a flash of that past life memory. I was filled with that same exact joy I'd felt in the memory, and I seriously almost came to tears right there in class.
So perhaps one of the reasons why I love ATS so much is that is reminds me of dances I've done in another life. Regardless of the past life connection, I think it resonates with many people simply because circle dances, and communal dances have been a part of so many cultural histories. The modern Western dances that focus on mostly the isolation of the individual don't give us that same human connection that we really need.

This next bit is totally non sequitur, but oh well.
Tribal Fest 2010 videos are slowly filtering onto YouTube...

Here is miss Rachel being amazing as always:
(please ignore for a moment my previous tirade on the tragedy of Tribal Fusion- I consider Rachel to be an exception)

No comments:

Post a Comment